Melissa, Nicola, and I had another person we swapped cookies with for the Food Blogger Cookie Swap, Kyleen of Sixteen Beans, unfortunately none of my emails were returned. So today I’m remaking cookies from my childhood just for you … and it was an excuse to pull out my food processor.
I remember coming home on a sunny day, racing into the kitchen, backpack thrown ready to have my afternoon snack. How can one resist the combination of peanut butter, banana, and chocolate chips all wrapped up into one bite size morsel? Deliciously addicting. My Mother made them on and off while I grew up, but it’s been about six years (wow has it been six years for K and I?!) since I’ve had a taste of these cookies.
Because of one teeny tiny factor – peanut butter.
K is highly allergic to peanuts and most bags of nuts or jars of nut butter declare “may contain” making us run for the hills. I couldn’t tell you the last time I had a PB & J sandwich. Reeses Cups and Peanut M&M’s must be sneaked in during trips without him. Thankfully Blue Diamond has whole almond products that are free from peanuts.
You mean with my new food processor I can make homemade almond butter risk free? Hell yes!
Making homemade almond butter is incredibly easy. Give them a quick roast, place them in your food processor, click on and let it do the rest for ten minutes. This recipe gives you enough for the batch of cookies and one almond butter and jam sandwich. Which I surprised him with – it was entertaining watching him eat his first nut butter and jam sandwich. I kept hearing him exclaim, “This tastes good, but yet so wrong!”
These cookies are a bit of a mix between cookie and banana bread; soft and not your typical chocolate chip cookie chewy and crispy, but they go down really quickly. The next thing you know, your plate of six will have gone down to one in the blink of an eye. Be warned, they may have less butter then your typical cookie and a cup of nutritional whole wheat flour (this recipe probably would be delicious with oats), but they make up for how addicting they are.
|Almond Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies|
- Homemade Almond Butter
- 1 cup whole almonds, heaping
- 1 tsp neutral oil
- ½ cup margarine, softened
- ½ cup muscavado sugar
- ½ cup homemade almond butter
- 1 egg
- 2 medium bananas, frozen and defrosted, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place almonds on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and pulse in your food processor until almonds turn into smooth butter mixture. Will take about 10 to 15 minutes depending on your food processor and the texture you like. If you need it creamier add some plain oil (I used a rice bran oil).
- Preheat till 350F.
- Cream your margarine and sugar. Add in the almond butter and egg, mixt together. Add bananas and vanilla, mix. Add in flour, baking soda, and salt at once, mix into the creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chip cookies.
- Drop by the spoonful on a baking sheet. These cookies do not spread and keep their shape. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes and let cool before moving to a cookie rack.