When it comes to summer drinks, I’m not one to go head over heels for girly Bellinis or Cosmopolitans. Give me something simple with a kick is how I like my cocktails … coconut creamy pina coladas being the exception.
I go through drink phases – one summer it was Mojitos, the next Whiskey Gingers, this year was fixing up to be the summer of Sangrias until a co-worker introduced me to a Pimm’s Cup. Pimm’s No. 1 is a British liqueur featuring gin with delicious spices. “Pimm, a farmer’s son from Kent, became the owner of an oyster bar in the City of London, near the Bank of England. He offered the tonic (a gin-based drink containing quinine and a secret mixture of herbs) as an aid to digestion, serving it in a small tankard known as a “No. 1 Cup”, hence its subsequent name.” (Wikipedia).
Normally mixed with “British Lemonade” aka 7-up I decided to make my own lemonade, but instead of still water, the club soda creates the “fizz.” This drink is a lovely mixture between all three of my favourite drinks – fruitiness of a Sangria, a spicy kick like a Whiskey Ginger, but with a refreshing twist from the mint and lime like a mojito.
It’s Friday, spice up your weekend with a Pimm’s Fruit Cup.
- 2 parts sugar
- 1 part water
- 1 part syrup
- 1 part lemon juice
- 2 parts club soda
- 3 strawberries, sliced
- 4 cucumber slices, halved
- 4 mint leaves
- 1 slice of orange
- 1 shot of Pimm’s No. 1 (roughly three capfuls)
- lemonade to fill the glass
- Mix 2 parts of sugar and 1 part of water. Bring to a boil, stir until sugar has dissolved and remove from heat. Let cool.
- Mix your simple syrup, lemon juice, and club soda together in a seperate large glass or pitcher.
- Fill the glass with ice, your fruit, cucumber, and mint leaves. Pour in lemonade and top with Pimm’s No. 1. Mix with a stir stick and serve.
If you make this, let me see! Tag your photo with #teawithmeblog on Instagram.