To this day I am still dreaming about the meal I had at Meat & Potatoes, especially their fried brussels sprouts. Alas, I don’t have a deep fryer and it would freak me out to use one, especially after getting hot oil into my eye once thank you spitting bacon, instead I bring to you inspired comfort food – grain free style.
I’m a no frills kind of cook and will try to cut steps out if I can. This recipe doesn’t take the time to make a cheese sauce; instead I mix all the ingredients into a casserole and bake. The tangy sour cream melts in with the cheese giving you that stringy ooey gooeyness without all the fuss.
Plus you can’t go wrong with adding bacon to the mix.
Now I’m hesitant to call this primal, it does have a ton of fat with the milk products and nut topping, but if you’re gluten-free, this certainly fits the bill without using processed gluten-free noodles. For a taste of comfort meals, this version certainly has results.
Cauliflower Mac ‘n Cheese
Gluten-free and primal version of your families favourite comfort food.
- 8 cups cauliflower florets, overflowing
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- olive oil
- black pepper
- 1¼ cup sour cream
- 5 tbsp almond milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 roasted garlic cloves, minced
- dash of smoked paprika
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ⅛ cup ground flax seed
- ¼ cup parmesan reggiano, shredded
- ¾ tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 420F.
- Mix cauliflower and garlic with one to two tablespoons of olive oil and some black pepper. Spread on a baking sheet or two and roast for twenty minutes, taking it out half way through to give it a good mix.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, cut bacon into lardons and cook till slightly crispy, but with some flexibility to them.
- In a small bowl mix almond meal, flax seed, parmesan reggiano and olive oil together. Set aside.
- When the cauliflower is done, bring them out to cool slightly and set the oven to 350F.
- Mix the sour cream, milk, cheddar cheese, and some smoked paprika in a baking dish. Mince the roasted garlic and mix it in. Add cauliflower and bacon, mix all together. Spread the topping over the cauliflower mixture and if you like extra feel free to double the topping.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until top is a crunchy golden brown and the cheese looks bubbling and incorporated. Serve.